Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Kim's Visit From Her Aunt

Kim was visited by her Aunt Helen recently. Below are excerpts from a letter that she wrote after the visit ...


[The meeting with Kim was very pleasant - she looked radiant and lovely. David and a Chinese friend (whose name I can't remember) met me at the hotel. I took them to lunch and then we went off to the penitentiary. David has been marvellous and really deserves a reward.

It was all very civilised (or have I been watching too much TV?). There was a row of rooms with glass walls and a door opening each side onto its own corridor. The public came in on one corridor, the other corridor is not open to the public. I could see rooms where the public were separated from those in remand, rooms with a double bed for conjugal meetings, and rooms like the one we were placed in - open with chairs. Although we were only supposed to have 1 1/2 hours, it actually ran over 2 1/2 hours or more. Kim said she was putting on weight, but if so it was minimal. She said she got dressed up for me - a necklace, pretty top and attractive sandals - usually she said she wore tracksuits. We had a lot of laughs and much merriment, the time went quickly. She said it was great to be speaking English again. We discussed all the family - their good and bad antics.

She said their activities were all planned carefully - yoga, I.T., meditation, sports etc. A bus took women over to the men's penitentiary and a number of women had boyfriends over there. She said some of them really got dressed up for the occasion. She felt some sort of relaxant was put into their food to calm/control out of hand sexual desires.

She had put herself down for a job to earn money- then she could earn money - most of which goes on phone cards.

We didn't discuss her case. She didn't know if the rooms were bugged. She said telephone calls and everything is bugged in China.

Lots of Love,
Helen]

Rgds,

Scott

2 comments:

Fiona Fiona said...

I received a delightfully upbeat letter from Kim the other day, and it's left me grinning from ear to ear.

Although I know what she's going through must be unbelievably challenging, her stories had me shrieking with laughter. Her strength and spirit and general 'Kimness' radiate through the letter.. really lovely, and very very comforting.

So Kim, if you manage to get a squizz at this, thank you soooo much for your letters, and just for being you.

Happy birthday on the 6th. Dance up a storm!!!

x00x0x0x

Amoeba said...

Dear Kim,

I'm sorry to hear of what happened and to be late to say sorry.
On behalf of myself, my family and the Afrika United FC family, I would like to say that you are in our prayer, and God will guard you through this difficult period.
I will never forget how you helped me when I was 'locked' because of SARS.
Stay positive.
HAKUNA MATATA.

Kagashani