Below are excerpts from a letter that Kim recently sent to Mum and Dad ...
[Dear Ma & Pa,
This signature, or rather non-signature of mine has given me troubles all over the world. I remember when I was in India, at the money exchange place, they gave me a sheet of paper so that I could practice making my signature more like the passport version. And today I've spent a good ten minutes practicing my signature - now I get nervous whenever I have to sign my name.
About my new living conditions - the Penthouse - I think I told you that I'm in a tiny room - 4 girls: one from Argentina, one from Bolivia, one from Dominican Republic. They're all sweet. It's a non-smoking room. Its one big problem is that the window is very small and it gets pretty stuffy. This section of the prison is definitely less interesting than the other. The cross section of the people was a lot more textured in the other area. There was also more movement, a stronger current in terms of people moving in and out of the prison. Where I am now, it's a lot more static - and you know how static water can get very dirty - I find the atmosphere a little like that. People have been here a god long while, quite a bit of bad energy around. One Brazilian woman (a very spiritual woman) came to me yesterday and told me to be careful. She had noted my sponge-like ability to soak up the energy around me and cautioned that there was a lot of bad energy amongst the girls. It forces me to be very present. It's all good practice and I need to be also reinforcing the good energy within me.
I regularly give myself Reiki and am meditating and know that a lot of good stuff is coming from loved ones outside so that is all helping. I find many of the girls difficult to like. For a start, they're quite removed from their "real" selves. Most are very guarded, very false, very shallow. Probably has something to do with the fact that they're living a lie - they're being here is based on a lie, a fabricated story. I'm sure something closer to their real selves would emerge after the trial.
The girls, most of them, are completely obsessed with the physical dimension of their selves and others. They dress looking like they've just been shopping on Rodeo Drive. This place is supposed to be a "correction centre" but materialism, consumerism is certainly alive and well and seems to be self perpetuating here. If I could get some sympathisers, I would like to have a bad make-up day - or wacko-spacko clothes day to lighten things up in terms of how people perceive themselves. Many of the girls have had bits lifted or removed or added to their bodies and they talk aboit having further alterations done as airily as I would talk about having my hair done, or legs waxed. I'm pretty good now with the price list for Boob Jobs and Tummy Tucks and this kind of thing. One girl I was talking to yesterday. She has 2 sons who are 6 and 9 years old. She was saying that she wants to buy them penis enlargements - I nearly choked.
In the evenings - I can honestly say that in my room, every single night is spent talking about other girls here - nothing else. I don't find it interesting at all. They call it "Radio Wad Ras". Wad Ras is another name for the prison here. A typical night's conversation might be about who's been operated on and where who likes which functionarios (the prison guards). There's quite a bit of reciprocal flirting between the girls and the functionarios here. And also talk about which girls have wived up.
Gossiping, gossiping, gossiping. Conversation is definitely a lost art here. I'm sure that has a lot to do with the TV being on all the time.
So, I'm enjoying the perks of this section: it is quieter and there is definitely more respect for us here. But I miss the variety and sometimes miss the momentum of the other section. There are some nice girls in this section through, too. It's easier to gain access to the phone here - but the prices have gone up for phone calls. I rang Tanzania before and it cost 15 Euros for the 8 minutes. How outrageous. And the last phone call to Australia cost 6 Euros.
Other news. I'm getting pretty good with Sudoku. I'm bridging between the difficult and tough section in my Sudoku book. I wonder if competitive professional Sudoku events will ever occur.
Oh - and you must ask David more about his band. Very very interesting stuff they are doing, multi-dimensional and progressive.
Big love to you both,
Can't wait to see you.
xx Kim xx]
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment