Adi has sent the following to Kim:
Gogo Mama by Sally Sara and a Spanish phrase book
At this stage - if anyone else sends anything to Kim - could they please leave a comment (attached to this post) telling what it is.
Thanks,
Scott
Thursday, October 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
31 comments:
Nina is sending today a book called Brain Respiration by Ilchi Lee which has some meditation/yoga techniques. Also a novel called A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers. Chocolate, a Kathmandu top, writing pad, small tin of water colour crayons, very small package of shampoo, moisturizer, essential oils...all under 5 kgs!
Going to send the letter seperately just incase for some reason the package doesn't get through.
I'm going to send book on The Sedona Method, which has got some really good strategies for dealing with negative feelings.
And I'm going to see if I can find a cheapish mp3 player and put some music on it. They mightn't let her keep it, but it's worth a try. Will post Monday.
And lip balm.
I sent 3 books last week, just before I found out that Kim couldn't recieve parcels. The river god by Wilbur Smith, The unknown terrorist by Richard Flanagan and an Australian book set in the Blue Mountains. I'm hoping they will open the parcel and hand them to Kim
I sent a couple of books to David (thanks David!) for Kim last week - Small Island (Andrea Levy) and Geography (Sophie Cunningham).
I'm going to send , cd's African songs from my country Bongo Flava's she always love to hear also some from South Africa and Lingala music ......, without forgetting English- Swahili dictionary.
I'm Nina's Mum. We are all still in disbelief at Kim's predicament. All the support shown on this blog is a testament to Kim's good strong friendships and her generous character.
I am sending;
- A novel. 'Slow Man' by J.M. Coetzee
- A card making kit
- A small leather footy
- A pair of slipper socks
- and, a very cute cushion
Hi everyone,
I received a letter from Kim last week saying she has received the parcels that were sent. They allowed the first round through as we didn't know they weren't allowed. They will not allow anymore to be sent directly to the prison so you will have to send them to David. She also said that when you send a letter you need to write your name and address on the back. Her letter seemed remarkably positive considering the circumstances and their day is busy with lots of activities.
Megan
Thats good news that the first parcels got through, maybe a good sign that the people at the prison are not too bureaucratic and have some compassion.
today i sent 3 cd's (womad 2006, putomayo latin groove and virginia rodrigues), 2 pairs of explorer socks, some chocolate and some dried apricots to david (thanks david!)
ween
i ordered some yoga books from amozon uk and sent them to david, (so david, if you are wondering why some strange books that you didn't order turn up with no letter or anything they are for kim)
-the womens yoga book: asana and pranayama for all phases of the menstrual cycle
- yoga for women, shakta kaur khalsa
- yoga anatomy, leslie kaminoff
david (or anyone else) do you know of any good cd or book shops in spain that we could order things from online? and do you know if we ordered something online from a shop in spain would they be able to deliver it directly to the prison? because i understand that kim can receive parcels from spain but not from overseas?
Still learning to find my way around the revamped blog. Kim has at last received her discman after 2 months of waiting. I am sending her cds "Dreams of Freedom" Bob Mali and sound track from the film "Monsoon Wedding".
I'm so glad that Kim has recieved the disc man which I'm sure provides a relief from the constant noise.
In a recent letter, she requested that I post here that she would love some classical Indian music and said that Nicola Radich is somewhat of an expert on this.
If you're reading Nicola, maybe you can give us some advice.
Love to everyone
hanna
I sent a Xmas gift with: 2 board games (scrabble and 'pass the pig'), a very cute teddy bear and a collection of Pablo Neruda poetry with the original Spanish on one side of the page and the english translation on the opposite page.
I have also sent some photos of our time together in Beijing and some other photos.
Today I left a few things for Kim at the prison: a book (A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth), a trashy UK magazine (just in case she has been concerned about what Britney has been up to recently) and a colourful scarf.
I'm really sorry, but they didn't allow all of the presents through today. They are quite particular about what they will and won't allow through. I don't know why, but they don't allow games, even if they are wrapped in plastic. They don't allow food or soft toys, either. Basically, paper (books, photos, letters, writing paper, prints etc), *PLASTIC-WRAPPED* CDs and clothes seem to be fine, but certain other things can be iffy. I'm not sure what the exact rules are. Today they also allowed a CD holder in, but they said that coloured pencils would not be allowed through (because she can buy these herself - this doesn't really make sense to me). I don't want to discourage gifts (or a variety thereof) for Kim, since she is so glad to receive them, but I think it's helpful to know that some things don't get through. David said that as a general rule of thumb, they don't allow anything that they would have to break or rip or otherwise destroy or damage to determine whether it conceals something else inside. I'm not sure if this all makes sense - if I find out more about all this, I will post it here. David, please correct me if I have any of this wrong !
I bought a few things for Kim today: some CDs (Graceland, Chill out world music CD, Bowmboi, Best of Bob Dylan, Nina Simone - I was going for variety!), a red hooded top and a couple of T-shirts. Hoping to give her these on Wednesday, or leave them with David.
I have bought more CDs for Kim: Kaira by Toumani Diabate and 3 Hariprasad Chaurasia CDs (one doesn't seem to have a name, one is called 'The Most Celebrated Flautist of India' and the other is 'The Living Legend of Bansuri - Live - Vol II').
If anyone wants to send her more CDs, she is still keen on Indian classical music and she also asked for the soundtrack to Monsoon Wedding (I couldn't find this here). I think also kora music from West Africa would be good.
Marta bought her some corduroy trousers the other day and I also bought her a couple of beanies.
I have already sent a copy of "Monsoon Wedding "cd to David and I expect Kim should receive this shortly. Also sent her an Australian calendar and a puzzles book.
Thanks Kirsten for the info on what is allowed through. I was halfway through compiling things for a parcel and it was very useful. I've sent Kim an Icebreaker thermal singlet and some cards with envelopes. Previously I also sent some National Gallery of Victoria postcards with art from Australia and around the world- a collection of about 20 cards got through as a letter (sent directly to Kim). I also sent some photos from the night out with Kim's Melbourne friends.
Hi there,
Before Christmas I sent Kim (via David) a book by Ian Gawler called "Meditation - Pure & Simple", a stack of photos from our China bike trip and a colorful ribbon purchased when we were on our bikes in mid china.
Recently I sent three Indian classical CDs 1) Shakti by John MacLaughlin, 2) Flute by Hari Prasad 3) Sitar music (can't remember the musician), a comic sketch book and a copy of The Big Issue.
Anna x
Today my mum sent Kim (via David) New Earth by Eckhart Tolle.
Ween
I sent kim a calendar for christmas via David with lots of our photography of the farm and our daughter Maya and other local events. I received a letter from her today thanking me for it and saying how wonderful it is to look at all the pictures. It was a beautifully written letter and really stressing how much she enjoys our news and letters. Keep the letters going, they are keeping her spirit alive.
I sent off a present today from Janice and me for Kim's birthday - a summery dress and a CD by Toumani Diabate called the Mande Variations.
Hello everyone,
I recently sent Kim (via David - thank you!) a book called 'Round Ireland with a fridge' and a CD by South African based band 'Freshly Ground'.
All the best, Rachel x
Just before Kim's birthday I sent:
an historic novel set in India,
a journal, and
a calendar featuring wonderful
photographs of Australia.
I received a most entertaining letter a few months ago. Kim is doing her very best to make the most of things.
I also received a great postcard from Jan and Michael on their recent trip to see Kim.
Yesterday I sent with Sophie who will hopefully see Kim at the end of July--
6 books:
Animal Dreams
The Other Bolyn Girl
The Lovely Bones
House of Sand and Fog
and 2 I can't remember the name of!
Also sent her 3 tops... and pictures of our wedding as well as pictures from a trip to the mountains when she was in Beijing.
Sarah Vossler
Oh and Jess is having trouble accessing this so in case she can't get on here, her and Rachel sent her 13 cds (not sure which ones) and a skirt and two tank tops.
Hi all
Just wanted to let you all know that Kim called recently. She sounded just the same, her usual full of beans fabulous self, what a gal! It was wonderful to hear her voice. Her recent letter was also extremely positive and personally, I think she is a writer in the making. I sent Kimmie a book called "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseni. Love to all, Adi Adi
We have just dropped off a couple of parcels for Kim - she is always very pleased to receive some new presents ! Especially CDs. We left a few CDs with her - an Amos Lee one, Talking Timbuktu (Ali Farka Toure and Ry Cooder), Gotan Project, Monsoon Wedding soundtrack, a Spanish guitar one. We also gave her a couple of pairs of summer pyjamas, a summer dress and some books - Half a Yellow Sun and I can't remember the names of Janice's ones ...
I gave Kim a couple of tops today, as well as some tracksuit pants, a CD holder, a book called Oranges are not the only fruit and a few CDs (Garifuna Women´s project, Les Ethiopiques and some Spanish reggae).
I left some books with Kim in Barcelona
- Eat Pray Love
- Beijing Coma
- Running with Scissors
- Sea of Poppies
- Wetlands
Also, these CDs
- Seu Jorge, Cru
- Rokia Traore, Tchamantche
- Africa Express compilation
Janice and I left these CDs and books with Kimbo ...
CDs were The Chillout Sessions by Ladysmith Black Mambazo and Welcome to Mali by Amadou and Mariam.
Books were:
- The Little Stranger (Sarah Waters)
- No Longer at Ease (Chinua Achebe)
- The Hungry Tide (Amitav Ghosh)
- Guide to the Birds of East Africa (Nicholas Drayson)
- The Colour (Rose Tremain)
- Human Croquet (Kate Atkinson)
- Disgrace (Coetzee)
- Writing Down the Bones
- The Miracle of Mindfulness (Thich Nhat Hanh)
I think she has plenty of books, but from what I gather she is always happy to receive new music.
Hi
I'm arriving in Barcelona on the 15th September and will be there until the 5th October. Just thought it would be good for you all to know. That gives me three weekends to see Kim. I'm hoping I will be able to see Kim every weekend if the prison allows.
I'll keep you all posted
cheers
Post a Comment