In response to reftel, Receptionist/Consular Assistant contacted Wad-ras Prison Barcelona (ph. +34 93 225 0891, fax +34 93 225 0891), the following information was obtained from prison authorities-
2. Visits-
(a) Two normal visits are permitted per week: one Saturday and one Sunday (visits during the week are not permitted). The duration of normal visits is 30 mins. Normal visits are conducted through glass by telephone. Up to four people and two children under six years are permitted to attend normal visits. For normal visits an appointment is recommended and identification is required.
(b) Special Vis-a-Vis visits are permitted twice a month. Special Vis-a-Vis visits are conducted in a room with tables and chairs. The detainee must request from the prison authorities special Vis-a-Vis visits. For foreign nationals open date Vis-a-Vis visits are permitted, however dates are usually set upon request of Vis-a-Vis visits. The duration of Vis-à-vis visits is 1hour 30mins. Special Vis-a-Vis visits are for close family or contacts only.
3. Money - Money can be delivered in person or sent by bank transfer, however, to obtain the account details we have to send a fax to the prison administrator seeking permission and the account details. This fax has been sent and details will be forwarded once we receive a response. Money can be also be sent by giro within Spain to the below address-
(Name of Detainee)
Calle Trueta, 78-98
28005 BARCELONA
4. Parcels - Letters from overseas are permitted. Parcels from overseas are not permitted as ID must be seen. Any goods (i.e CDs) must be intact and unopened. Parcels maybe delivered in person during Special Vis-a-Vis visits.
5. Prison Visits - Post endeavours to visit detainees in Spain approximately every three months, resources permitting. If other opportunities arise or if there is a specific reason, Post will visit detainees more frequently.
Scott
Wednesday, October 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Let's work out who can go when. How exactly do we organise the visits? I am lucky as London is relatively close to Barcelona and tickets are not too expensive. I was thinking of going for 9 days. That way I can visit 2 weekends in a row and have a look around during the week. It sounds as though there is no limit on the number of people for the vis-a-vis visits. Jan and family, let me know how you want to coordinate.
Regarding point 5 - does that mean that letters are only delivered every 3 months?!
Nina
I was thinking about visiting in the first half of January. Not sure how that fits in with others.
Nina,
My understanding is that "Post" in Point 5 relates to visits from embassy officials.
I would assume that letters are delivered as and when they arrive at the prison.
Scott
hi jan. if you talk to kim soon, please let her know that sarah in beijing misses her and will send her letters soon. i just got back to china and heard the news and am trying to let it set in. it breaks my heart that she's there on her own.
Hi all. It's Vincenzo from Barcelona, I am a friend of Alessia (Zanzibar). I was called by Piera (from Zanzibar) and she told me about Kim. Yesterday morning I was at the prison and talked about 30 minutes with Kim (I did not know her before). She is allright and was very happy to see a friendly face. She told me that it would look like a "hostel" if only she could go outside. It's 9 of them in the cell. They have a tv and they do activities.
She said "it's not like in the movies", meaning it's not really hard and that she is getting used.
She said the food is quite good and that she is starting to learn spanish (starting by badwords, she said, that women are yelling often ;) )
she told me she has to look for a good spanish lawyer who has experience in such matters and can speak english. I don't really know any lawyer but I can ask around. She needs money to buy stamps and all the stuff to write letters, and also to buy a phone card to call outside. I am going to bring her some money next saturday (100€), along with some books I have in english.
She told me about rules for receiving parcels but I see everything is already written in this blog.
I live here in Barcelona and it's not a big problem to go to the prison to meet her. Contact me if you need.
Vincenzo
Post a Comment