Dear Friends and Family of Kim,
Well - it's a crappy turn of events and an enormous shock to all of us.
Even though we've all no-doubt become accustomed to receiving exotic (albeit scant) snippets of news from the globe galvanting red-head - this particular piece of news is a right doozy.
Treat this website as a place where we can all share thoughts and feelings about Kim as well as detail anything that we send to her to avoid duplication.
Scott (Kim's brother)
Thursday, October 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
46 comments:
Thanks for setting up the blog, Scott. I think it's really important for us to share our ideas on how to support Kim as much as we can.
I agree it's a crappy turn of events - I'm still a bit dazed and grappling with the whole situation, as I suppose we all are.
But as a start, I've sent a short letter today and have bought a book of stamps so I can send more...
Yes, the blog is a really good way for us all to communicate, thanks Scott.
I found this website which gives some legal information -
http://eldd.emcdda.europa.eu/index.cfm?fuseaction=public.Content&nNodeID=5766
If you go to 'Country Profile' and Spain, a lot of information is provided.
I imagine Kirsten and the other lawyers (Janice?) will be able to help us decipher the legal proceedings.
prisonersabroad.org.au has a fact sheet on the spanish system and rights etc = like her rights for an interpreter, duty lawyers, reminders for her not to sign anything unless it's been translated first etc etc. I'll e-mail it around.
On prisons.es you can see a photo of her charming new abode, plus a map and phone number. Actually, it looks ok from the outside! All the info's in Spanish though so haven't got anything terribly useful to say about that.
There are also various support sites for friends and family - one's called prisontalk, another the foreign prisoners support service. Lots of facts about notorious prisons around the world, but nothing about spain. I'm taking that as a good sign.
Thanks for setting this up Scott.
Fiona Fiona, I can't seem to get the prisons.es site to work, do i have the right address? We may be able to use babel fish to translate the page.
Thank you Scott. I have only met Kim a half a dozen times but found her warm and lovely. If people can't get on to 'prisons.es' I think it should be 'prisones.es'.
I shall write to Kim tonight and because I am a mum - Fiona's mum - I would like you to tell Kim's mum that she is in my constant prayers and thoughts.
Glenys Collis
This is the link for the Spanish Prisons website that shows the prisons in Catalonia:
http://prisiones.es/prisiones_de_cataluna.html
i see there is a phone number for the prison. has anybody called? i have a friend who is a native speaker (lufe), who i was thinking of asking to call just to ask some general questions like what are we allowed to send and about visiting or calling. is this a good idea? does anybody have any questions they want to ask?
also i asked a friend who used to work as a prison psychologist if he had any advice for managing prison life. i'll send these in a letter to Kimbo but thought others might be interested too.
- connect with as many professional support people within the prison as possible eg whether medical, chaplains etc. More people-less alone, plus more people to notice if anything is wrong. It isn't always easy/possible to tell people you need help inside. Start off by asking to have contact with the Chaplains or independent visitors to get on their radar - and they will have a better understanding of prison processes, barriers, and supports than a bureaucrat from the consul.
- If there is the option to engage with activities in prison do so, eg
education etc. People with connections with the professional systems within the prison are less vulnerable.
- managing connections with other inmates is always tricky. I if was in prison I would adopt a low key presence, be helpful and polite with other prisoners, but try as hard as possible to be independent.
- Having lots of contact from friends, even regular correspondance will be good.
- different prisons have diff systems for prisoners earning money. In some systems people will need money to suppliment diet/ toilettries/ ph calls / stationary etc.
Thanks Scott. It was good seeing you the other day and chatting and sorting through things in our minds. It has all seemed like a bad dream and is slowly sinking in as a reality. It will be good to get to know the wide network of friends that Kim has via this blog. Am sending a letter today. What are the chances of being bailed out?
Megs (Kims sister)
Megan, from what I know, the chances of bail in this situation (gravity of offence + foreign national) are fairly slim to non-existent, but I would be very happy to be proven wrong.
Thank you to you all.It's wonderful to have your support. Unfortunately, I still haven't heard back from Kim's case worker at defat in Canberra.
Jan (Kim's Mum)
Kim rang this evening re contacting an english speaking lawyer which I am trying to chase up.
She was happy to hear that I had contacted you guys and she is looking forward to letters.She can receive clothing, shoes books. Any CD's must be new - not burned and in their original packaging.She will probably buy a discman. I will need to deposit money in an acc. for her at the consulate so she can buy toiletries, water, stamps etc. The long days are broken up by a language lesson, some gym. and sometimes dance and she is allowed outside for half an hour twice a day.
Still haven't heard back from the consulate in Spain. The case worker said that this is an unacceptable situation and she is doing her best.
Thanks for the information Jan. Its great to know she can receive some gifts, and that there are some activities going on.
I'm sending the first volume of Conversations with God and some underwear.
hi anna
i remember kim had a spanish friend, Marta, in China. do you or anyone else know how to contact marta? if she is living in spain she may be another source of support for kim.
ween
Yes I was thinking the same thing Ween. I'm trying to trace her address - I don't have it but should be able to find it. We had another Spanish friend in BJ - Jack - who I've attempted to contact and am still waiting on a reply.
I think its a good idea for your Spanish mate to ring the prison and find out any more information. Any more info will help us to know what sort of support Kim might need. Maybe he could ask if any overseas parcels or any of the contents will get through - given that the latest news from the embassy is that overseas parcels are not accepted. Perhaps calling up and notifying them will help.
I'm shocked about the limited visiting hours, especially given Kim hasn't even been convicted.
Does anyone know exactly what Kim is being charged with? It might help to see what support she will need or how to prepare for the trial.
Anna,
Kim has been charged with "endagerment of public health" for allegedly carrying 5 kilos of cocaine.
Scott
Hi all again,
I wrote a message as soon as I saw anna's email, but I am not exactly sure where I posted it.
I have already contacted David (the other Spanish-catalonian guy who lived in China with us), and I expect him to write something in this wall pretty soon.
Now that I read this comments, I can see that there may be some more specific things I could help you with. So, just let me know, because at the moment I am so shocked I don't know how I can help exactly.
I am going to check for flights to Spain right now, and lets hope I can visit Kim in xmas.
Marta
Hi, I´m spanish and the brother of a kim´s friend in China. He has called me to do something.
I´m trying to organize a visit cause I can do it inmediatly or pretty soon. But I would like to know if there some one in Barcelona, I mean friends or family to contact, and try to help.
Cause the worst for her is to be alone, the best is to have a visit, to read messages is good, but is not the same.
I wait for answer.
Hi everybody,
this is Piera a friend of Kim. We were in China together and she visited me in Tanzania few months ago.
I have a friend of my friend living in Barcelona, I'll call him right now to see if he call the prison and get an appointment for tomorrow.
Will let you all know asap.
Piera
Hi,
I spoke with Vincenzo in Barcelona, he rang the prison to have an appointment - even though they could not confirm that Kim is detained in that prison, for a matter of privacy I guess. Anyhow he has an appointment for tomorrow morning, at 9.45. I will be calling him later on and post on the blog the news I will get from him. He told me he'll take her some books in English, something basic like shampoo etc. and money in case she needs.
He might help her looking for a good lawyer.
Also, he could receive at his personal address international parcels and take care of taking them to Kim.
I don't know Vincenzo personally, he's a friend of a good friend of mine. He has shown to be very kind and willing to take care of Kim, my friend told me he's very sweet and positive, so let's hope that he can at least give some positiveness to Kim.
update you tomorrow
Piera
Hi everybody again,
I just contacted David, he will be writing his own comments in this blog really soon.
As for me, I have been looking for plain tickets and I am planning to be in Spain from December 25 until January 18th, so if someone talk to Kim please let her know.
Marta
Good night,
My name's David and I meet Kim when she was working as a teacher in Beijing.
I live close to Barcelona, so tomorrow I will go to visit her.
Do you know if she needs something special?
If you have any problem with the packages from abroad, my adress is:
David Sarsanedas Serrat
C/ Josep Pla, 11
17165 La Cellera de Ter
Girona, Catalunya
Spain
If you want to send something to her, I can bring it.
In any way, after the visit I will write to you again.
If you need something, don't hesitate.My telephone number is
(34) 972420781.
David
I have been so down after hearing kim's disappointment about not receiving parcels with books in particular.
My spirits have now been lifted since reading the latest comments from kim's Spanish friends and their contacts. Thank you so much for offers to visit and to also take books etc. It is the lack of mental stimulation that she finds so difficult.
What a wonderful idea to have this blog. Thank you again Scott.
Hi everyone
I'm a friend of Kim's from Beijing days. I am in Sydney now, so if there's anything I can do for Kim and her family here, please let me know.
It's hard to know what to say and do, but I am sending her much love and good thoughts.
I've been in contact with Rachel in Beijing. She's been having difficulty getting onto this site from China (some sites - especially blogs- are not easily accessible there). She asked me to write and say there is a network of Kim's friends there. Some of them have contacts to the legal profession in Spain. If Kim is still looking for a lawyer and you would like to get in touch with Rachel to find out about this, her email is rach_beach@yahoo.co.nz
Nicola
Hi,
Vincenzo has been to visit Kim this morning. He told me she is doing very well, she is relaxed, smiling and the prison is not bad at all (she literally told him that it looks like being in a hostel, too bad she cannot go out!). The food is not bad, she shares the room with 8 girls, she has access to the library and the tv. She's doing her best to learn Spanish. She looked healthy and pretty. She was very happy to meet Vincenzo even if they didn't know each other, it seem that Kim has a new friend in Barcelona!
Unfortunately Vincenzo could not give her the small parcel he had with him because on Sundays only the visit is allowed.
The most important thing is that Kim needs advice in selecting a good lawyer. She has a list of lawyers but she would need to find somebody that is specialized in drugs smuggling or similar. Vincenzo will try to ask around in Barcelona, but please anyone else that could have a clue - David? - , please advise and post on this blog. So that you can also coordinate with Vincenzo (he'll probably post something soon on the blog). I'll write an e.mail to Rachel and post the answer in the blog.
Now, there are two more things that Kim said she needs most:
1) addresses and telephone number of friends and relatives.
We all might post them on the blog and ask Vincenzo or David to post a list to her from Barcelona.
2) pre paid phone cards
Vincenzo said he is going to take care of it, anyone in Spain could do the same.
Is very frustrating trying to help Kim from far away, we are very lucky that Vincenzo and David are there, thank you both very very much.
Hi
this morning I phoned to the prision, but they told me than today Kim already had a visit, I suppose Vincenzo.
There is allowed to bring things (books, etc) only the first and the third saturdays of every month.
I can not phone to her, but she can phone to me. Maybe they already arranged this with Vincenzo, but if someone of you can give to her my telephone number, I can go there and bring what she needs.
Can I have the telephone number of Vincenzo? Maybe in this way it will be easier (pre-paid telephone cards, etc).
Did you have any problem for to send money?
In any way, I can go there next weekend.
I live 110 km away from Barcelona, but if any one of you needs a room, you are welcomed to my house.
David
Thank you so much Piera, David and Vincenzo.It was so good to hear the report on Kim and her conditions. Most of the news was new for me.
Thank you also David for the offer of accommodation.
I made a bank transfer last Friday of 124.90 Euros to a special account at the Prison.I hope it has got there safely.
Any help with finding a suitable lawyer will be greatfully appreciated. The lawyer that I have emailed arrives back in Barcelona today but I have the feeling that he may not practise in this field.
To David and Vincenzo
I can't tell you how happy and relieved I was to hear about your visits, or plans to visit Kim -
It was such a relief to hear your news - it's good to know there are kind people not so far away!
Thank you soooooo much!
Fiona (a friend from Melbourne Australia)
Hi Scott,
I gather you set up this blog. Thank you. Also hello to all who have provided comments and suggestions. My name is Robert and I think we (Scott + your wife?? sorry I dont recall her name, and I)met in Beijing where you were visiting Kim. I spent 5 or 6 years in China with Kim, right to my last day, and every single one of our countless meetings was truly magical - transcending time and space. I remember taking her on her probably first walk around Beijing right after her arrival. Now am in the Czech Republic but will try to make it to Barcelona to see her. I have a very good friend in Spain, though she lives in Seville, right down south. Her husband is a lawyer but not sure what law he practises. Will enquire and see if he would have any suggestions.
I see that Kim would like to have addresses so will send mine by mail directly to her.
TO David: I read your offer for possible visitors to stay with you. It is most kind of you. Should I put together enough money would I be able to stay with you? Of course I would let you know in advance.
Big hug to all.... Robert
Hi David and Vincenzo - its so nice to have you both there for Kim. Thanks for the visit update. I will post stuff to you David if that's ok.
Robert, I'm really glad you got in touch. I've been trying to find your address and was hoping you'd be in Europe. It'd be wonderful if you could visit Kim. I remember what a great friendship you had with her.
- Anna
Hello Robert, I am Kims sister and remember meeting you in Beijing. I think we went out for a meal of Peking duck and if I remember correctly you are a very tall man.
Megs
David and Vincenzo
Thank you from me too. Your kindness and concern is really appreciated - especially for those of us on the other side of the world.
I was wondering if there is a way we can send you some money to help with the costs of you going to visit and for the things you have offered to take her? Can we send money orders or perhaps western union? Not sure if you want to put bank details, so if anyone has any good ideas on how to do this, perhaps you could put them on the blog. Thanks.
Nicola
Hi, just a short update.
Vincenzo and David are in touch, I guess they are organizing next week-end visit.
Vincenzo told me that wants to make available his e-mail address and his telephone number to Kim's family or friends in need of direct information.
If you want Vincenzo details you can write to me:
pierafreccero@yahoo.it
ciao
Marta, Piera, Vincenzo and David - you are angels! It is such a relief to know that Kim is well and in good spirits And it's a real breakthrough to have someone who can deliver parcels from abroad.
I will be in Barcelona from the 10th to 18th of November and plan to visit Kim on both weekends. If others are there we could meet up and go together. Can I just call the prison to make a time? Do they speak English? My number is +44 (0) 7904 480 720 and email nina.michaelides@gmail.com
Also, I spoke with a friend who is a lawyer who suggested that it would be worthwhile getting (as well as a Spanish lawyer) also an Australian lawyer who specialises in this kind of case, for advice. He said that possibly (s)he could organise with DFAT for the trial to be held in Australia.
Many thanks again,
Nina
Dear All,
I already have a ticket to Spain. I will be in the country from dicember 26th until January 16th. I will be staying at David's, and I will go to visit Kim every day I can. I hope there is a special regime for xmas visits.
I have also been asking Spanish friends about lawyers, but I haven't received any comments yet.
Anyway, I though you would be happy to hear that Kim will be receiving more visits pretty soon. If someone wants to send her something just send it to david and i will give it Kim when I go to see her.
Best
Marta
Tomorrow I will go to the prison.
Last week Kim asked me to try to get her friend's phone numbers and addresses, so she can get in touch with everybody. I am also going to print all pages of this blog and try to give them to her.
Write me if you need:
typbex@yahoo.com
Vincenzo
Hi Kim's Family,
My Name is Dominic from Beijing. I've known Kim for many years. I'm a drummer and i played with Kim for Toning Drum Circle. Everybody in our group was shocked upon hearing this bad news. Since someone asked for any suggestion on how to support her, i'm sure she'll be happy if she can have any musical instrument like her flute and small djembe that she plays so well. I don't just know if it's allowed inside.
In behalf of Toning Drum Circle and my band Soundpage, we're all thankful for this blog and you'll be in our prayers and we hope you find the right lawyer. We'll try to send Kim letters often as we can.
Dear all,
I'm Soichiro Arai from Toning Drum circle. I met Kim in beijing, we became friends and she's always so nice to me. Everytime i need someone to talk with, she's always there.
I don't really understand with what's happening yet, but I just wish Kim and her family can tough it out with this situation, and i'll try to help in anyway i can.
araiz
Thanks for setting this up Scott,
As god awful as this situation is, I'm glad that little missy has a fantastic support group out there for her. Thank you to everyone who has been to see our darling Kim.
I know being in the States isn't directly helpful, but if there is anything I can do please let me know. I'm searching my brain for any contacts I may still have in Spain and if they can be of any help.
I see that being out of Spain I can only send her letters- that being the case where can I find the address? And David, I may have to take up your offer and send her a parcel through you.
Hang in there everyone- all this love and support has got to generate something positive.
Sarah McKindlay-Boinay
We received a second letter from Kim today.Very positive. Very thankful for the letters and gifts. The letter we received was written on stationery supplied by Nina. She asked me to remind you all that when you write to her, you must write your name and address on the back of the envelope.
i'm simone, boyfriend of piera in zanzibar and i have met kim when she was in zanzibar.
i'm now in italy and planning to visit kim this we on saturday 17 or sunday 18.
I know that nina is in barcellona as well. Maybe we can go together.
If there is anything i can take to her please let me know.
simone
Hi everyone
I got a letter from Kim today! Yeay! I stared at it for a couple of hours, before I had the courage to open it, but when I did it was lovely.
She sounded pretty good - getting lots of encouragement from all the letters and gifts.
There's a hilarioys story in there about the Indian man that comes to teach yoga once a week. "Try imagining Mr Bean teaching yoga and turning into into a dance - 3 strides and then jumping into a static pose. 3 more strides then and then another pose, all around the room. Well, I don't understand the Spanish he speaks just yet but I understand that he's a bundle of joy and truth and I really look forward to these bizarre classes."
Anyway, it's great to have a letter.
Looking forward to catching up with the Melbourne girls tomorrow night for dinner.
Lots of love to all
Fiona Fiona
Hi everyone
I got a letter from Kim today! Yeay! I stared at it for a couple of hours, before I had the courage to open it, but when I did it was lovely.
She sounded pretty good - getting lots of encouragement from all the letters and gifts.
There's a hilarioys story in there about the Indian man that comes to teach yoga once a week. "Try imagining Mr Bean teaching yoga and turning into into a dance - 3 strides and then jumping into a static pose. 3 more strides then and then another pose, all around the room. Well, I don't understand the Spanish he speaks just yet but I understand that he's a bundle of joy and truth and I really look forward to these bizarre classes."
Anyway, it's great to have a letter.
Looking forward to catching up with the Melbourne girls tomorrow night for dinner.
Lots of love to all
Fiona Fiona
Hi all,
I'm Dave, I was Kim's flatmate in Beijing for most of 2006, I'm sure some of you remember me.
I went to visit Kim a few weeks ago in Barcelona, we had arranged a contact visit (many thanks again to David Sarsa!). I tried to learn some Spanish before I went, which was a good thing as no one at the prison spoke any English. Finding the way in was tricky, as the visitor's entrance is an unmarked blue door at the other end of the building from the main entrance, with a buzzer that nobody seemed to want to answer.
Once inside things were smooth, the staff were very friendly, and patient with my bad Spanish. I was asked to leave all my bags etc in a locker. I wasn't searched, just asked to walk through the metal detector.
I met with Kim in a small concrete room, with windows and a door on each end, and gave her a few big hugs. There were some old vinyl lounge chairs to sit on , and a small coffee table. The staff didn't come in at all except to tell us when our time was nearly up. I didn't notice any cameras or microphones.
We got to chat for over an hour, mostly I tried to tell her funny things. She told me about Africa, and some gossip from Beijing. Kim looks very healthy, and is in surprisingly high spirits, and still has her sense of humour. She told me that there are some dehumanising moments, such as being handcuffed when taken to court, but she wants every body to know that being there is like being at boarding school (except she doesn't get to go home in the holidays).
On the way out, I left her a postcard from our friend Bryony, and one from me, as well as a CD of some samba music.
Her message to everyone is "please send letters", as getting a letter in the morning is like a ray of sunshine which brightens her whole day.
Post a Comment